Friday, November 27, 2009

What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

I would like a reply from other African Americans, please. I have had a relaxer for almost 11 years and have watched my hair become shorter and shorter over the years. I have had enough! What can I do? I know my natural hair is very thick and kinky. I am not willing to cut all my hair off and I don't want to get weave or braids. Once my relaxer is grown out, I plan on just using a hot comb to make it straight. Any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

if you dont want to get braids i would just straighten your hair and clip your ends until your permed hair is gone. i did the same thing like 8 years ago and havent had a perm since. plus if your hair is getting shorter, your hair is probably damaged and you should deep condition it to repair it and keep it from being damaged by the heat from hot combs.



i have this really good flat iron that works on thick hair and doesnt require you to put anything on your hair when you straighten it so it will be lighter. they're expensive but really worth it in the long run.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

im not AA but i have AA hair cirly kinky Etc. i currently have a relaxer in and i love it but if i wew you i would wait a few months for my natural hair to grow in about an inch - inch and a half i would straigten it with a flat iron everyday so i dont have half curly and half stright hait and then i would get some curly extentions and have them cut my hair to an inch -inch and half (my new hair not effected by the relaxer) and have them sew in the extentions so i could still have long hair then when my real hair gre back to the desired lenght i would just take out the extentions. hope i helped



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

All you can really do safely is use a hot comb or a good flat iron with some pressing oil to make your natural hair match your relaxed hair. Braids might even make the relaxed hair break further.



I know this is probably too late but have you tried other relaxers? My friends always recommend Motions or Platinum Silk to their clients.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

You already have the right idea! The worst thing that you could do would be braids or weaves. The hair that is relaxed is weak while your natural hair is stronger and something like that would surely break your hair at the weakest point.



I would highly recommend going to a professional while growing out of the relaxer. They will press the new growth; no one will be able to tell the difference. You should also cut as much as you can stand; it speeds up the process while getting rid of the relaxed hair. Also, you must condition your hair very well, using a deep conditioner once a week. These are the things that will help you avoid breakage that will happen if you don't take care of your properly during this process.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

Like you, I was tired of breakage so I'm free from the perm. How about you check a website called nappturality.com. It's about Black women rocking their natural hair. I'm currently a member and my hair is all natural. Go to the forum and click the transitioners section. This is for people who are in the same situation as you.



To tell you the truth I had problems taking care of two textures (relaxed and natural) so I chopped it all off.



If you are planning on using a hot comb, it'll just break off again. So what's the point? Our hair depends on moisture and the use of heat will deteriorate your strands and suck up the moisture. Trust me, use LITTLE of it. I've heard and seen women that had six to eight inches of natural hair and they used a hot comb once or twice and they had to cut several inches off so I don't recommend it.



Okay, my tips:



You can wash your hair as much as you want to. I recommend air dry since blow drying can damage your hair.



I shampoo my hair once a week and I co-wash whenever I want to. You could do it everyday. Co-washing means using only conditioner and rinsing your hair out.



You will experience shedding, which is normal. But make sure your hair is moisturized. Always.



Check the ingredients of products you buy. Stay away from anything that says petroleum, petrolatum, mineral oil,fragrance,etc.



For shampooing and conditioning, I use VO5. It's quite cheap and it works wonders.



For moisturizer/leave in conditioner, I use Garnier Fructis, shea butter,WATER.



You just have to find out what works for you and research about natural hair. You'd be surprise what you can learn about our hair.



There's this Black woman named Cathy Howse. She has a book where she goes into details about caring for Black hair. Her hair is past her shoulders. I think by her breasts actually.



If you don't want to stay natural, make sure to look her up and learn how to take care of your hair.



If you also plan on not using weave or braids, then just let it grow out by keeping it moisturized. That's your only option. My sister is currently trying to grow out her relaxed hair and I do cornrows in the front of her hair and put the rest of her hair in a ponytail.



I have my hair in yarn braids right now and they could pass as locs.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

you shouldve taken care of your perm, then your hair probably wouldvnt have fallen out. but try to keep your hair mousturized and your scalp greased. braids are the best way to mae your hair grow and i am living proof. i used to wear braids all the time and my hair has rown over the years, you should reconsider getting your hair braided...i dont see why you are against them. get some cornrows or some zillions they last up to 3 months and they can be washed and styled normally and zillions greatly improve hair growth.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

I wore strawsets while I was transitioning. I too was scared of braids, but you can also try yarn braids. The yarn is much lighter than hair extensions, so theres no pulling. I recommend a ceramic straightening iron over hot combs. HTH I love being natural.



What advice do you have for an African American female trying to grow out a relaxer?

well, I've had the same hair problem. Am being advised to reduce the amount of times i use the hair dryer, curl iron etc...



weaving %26amp; braids sure help if it is well carefully removed afterwards.



u can also try using 'organic root stimulator' they seem to be helping me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
school loans