Thursday, June 17, 2010

What do African-american have to look forward to in London?

I'm going to do my Msc this fall in London and I'm really excited. However, I keep hearing horror stories about blacks in the United Kingdom. I'm sure it's no worse than where I'm at now in the states. I hear stories about abductions, lack of culture related products (hair), and general racism, especially within the race (ex. africans vs black americans vs british blacks). I'm not worried about it, but I just want to know what to expect. Again, I live in Ohio, it can't be worse than this.



What do African-american have to look forward to in London?

Blacks are far more assimilated in England than they are in America - English people are far more accepting of racial differences than Americans are, especially in your redneck southern states. We have a lot of mixed relationships and marriages. One very big factor in this is that we have never had official segregation (any separation is de facto, by reason of wealth/poverty, but that applies to all races including whites).



Being white myself I'm afraid I can't help you on inter-black racial dynamics, perhaps someone else can. I can tell you that you will find some ignorant white people are racist and some blacks have big chips on their shoulders, but thank goodness both are in the minority. People are more likely to be prejudiced against you for being American at the moment - your country does not have a good name in the world generally, as I'm sure you are aware.



But please don't worry, wherever you go, just be yourself and good people will accept you - those that reject you on grounds of your colour aren't worth knowing anyway! Good luck.



As for hair products, don't know where you got that from but with a massive number of Londoners of West Indian and African origin, I think you'll find every cosmetic etc. under the sun (or rain!). And abductions? What is that about???



What do African-american have to look forward to in London?

i think the people from the UK are nice people



there is some racist people there I'm shore but there will be some everyplace that you go



and hey going to London will get you away from the rednecks of Ohio ( i was in that state one time and i don't want to go back)



What do African-american have to look forward to in London?

Being white, its hard for me to comment on inter black community relations...but black friends of mine tend to laugh about it rather than take it too seriously. The bulk of black people in London are of Jamaican decent, and apparently there are disagreements between them and the "small islanders" from other Carribbean places like Barbados, Trinidad, and Antigua. Most Africans in London are from either Nigeria or Ghana. Recentlly there is also an increasingly large east African presence from Ethiopia and Sudan, who pretty much keep themselves to themselves. I dont know the numbers of black Americans living in London, but I suspect that there aren't that many..although of course there are always tourists here for a very short time.



Black hair care products aren't difficult to find at all, especially in areas with large black populations such as north or east London.



One thing you will definitely notice in London as being very different from the US is the high degree to which the races mix...inter-racial relationships and marriages are very common and are freely accepted.



And as for "abductions"...I'd love to comment but I have absolutely no idea what you could be referring to !

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
school loans